Monday, November 14, 2011

R. I. P. Sherwood Schartz (a few months late)

I was looking at a list of famous people born today and discovered that Sherwood Schwartz had died! Granted I don't watch TV and get my news mostly online and via newspapers and NPR, but I can't believe that I didn't know he died on July 12th of this year. If I had heard it, I definitely would have remembered it.

Why? I am a big Gilligan's Island fan. Not the fan club variety, I'm not much of a follower of anything. But the "I OWN the DVDs of that quirky sitcom", variety. I know, I know, it's stupid slapstick, no one could ever be as inept as Gilligan, foul up so many rescues without being "voted off the island", and the women are kept in their places doing all the "hutwork" and cooking. But I still love it.

I admit this is strange and I can't really explain it. I love classical music and opera, am more likely to read history and science than fiction, and surf the web primarily to get news. But there are a few things that I do semi-regularly that are decidedly less intellectual. Every couple of years I reread the entire original Little House Series of books, I periodically reread the Harry Potter series, and I watch Gilligan's Island. Most often I put it on in the background while I read. (After all it really doesn't take a lot of attention to follow the plot.)

Gilligan's Island was one of those shows that critics love to hate, but that fans love (or hate.) It only ran for 3 years, 1964-1967 (one in black and white, two in color) but has stayed on air almost continuously in syndication since it was cancelled. Only three of the actors are still alive, Mary Ann, Ginger, and the Professor. Oh, sorry, that's Dawn Wells, Tina Louise, and Russell Johnson.

Mr. Schwartz was the writer, creator, and producer of the show. Of course, he did other things. In fact he had a long career, writing for a number of shows on radio and TV, producing several one season shows, and even creating, writing, and producing The Brady Bunch. He won an Emmy in 1961 and a Daytime Emmy for the 2004 special Still Brady after All These Years. He even wrote Gilligan's Island: The Musical which was still playing as of his death this year. But, what I remember him for is Gilligan's Island. I don't know if that's what he would prefer to be remembered for, but there it is.

As I said I can't really explain it. Maybe it's because of the simplicity of their existance, although it always seemed odd that Ginger evidently carried a 3 year supply of hairspray on a 3 hour tour and never got her gowns dirty. Maybe it's because they always ended up friends regardless of how Gilligan fouled up the rescue. Or maybe it's just because it's such an obvious retreat from reality.Where else could you see them visited by Hollywood producers, a rock group (The Mosquitoes), Russian cosmonauts, bank robbers, a jungle boy, a surfer who rode in on a tsunami, and an experimental robot and STILL not be rescued.

Whatever the reason, after following all the political news for the last couple of months as the GOP primaries are gearing up with all the accompanying meanness that comes with politics, I think I'm ready for a little break from reality. Maybe it's time to pay a tribute to Sherwood Schwartz for a week or so and indulge in a little escape to Gilligan's Island. Rest In Peace Mr. Schartz. Thank you for giving us a view into a kinder, gentler world even if it is fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment